Friday, April 10, 2009

Michael Johns In Billboard Magazine's Idol Worship

Billboard Magazine did an interview with Michael Johns one year after his untimely exit from the American Idol stage. Although a year ago, all of his fans were devastated by what we considered our loss, today we celebrate the day that marked the beginning of his future success and freedom from the huge conglomerate's artistic restrictions.

Cheers Michael! We fans can't wait to hear your new independent single "Heart On My Sleeve" next Tuesday! We're now just four days away from watching your dreams really start to come true! Today we celebrate Independence Day for you!

No worries, mate. We can wait until June 23rd for the rest of the Hold Back My Heart album. That is...unless you'd like to go ahead and release the whole thing one single at a time until June. :D If not, though, guess I can Hold Back My Heart too!

Thanks to Ainn of IDF Forums, for finding the article once again!

Idol Worship: Today In 'AI' History - Michael Johns Edition

Johns One year ago today, Michael Johns was eliminated from Idol’s Top 12. The Perth, Australia native was the oldest competitor of the season 7 bunch, and among the most beloved (to us, at least). The song that did him in? Aerosmith’s “Dream On,” which Johns chose for Inspirational Music night (a theme this week’s bottom dweller, Scott MacIntyre, would have appreciated). But despite being labeled a “rocker,” Johns says he’s rediscovered his true passion for soul music, as his forthcoming album, due out June 23, will demonstrate (check out a couple tunes on his Myspace). We got our hands on an early copy and were absolutely amazed by the Muscle Shoals ambition Johns (and several of the Idol band members he enlisted) poured into every track.

As Johns tells it, he finally found his voice — and a proper record deal with Downtown Records, home to an eclectic roster than includes Cold War Kids, Eagles of Death Metal and Art Brut (not to mention France’s First Lady, Carla Bruni). We caught up with MJ last week in Los Angeles and got to remind him that the one–year anniversary of his exit was right around the corner. In typical laid-back Aussie form, Johns laughed it off, insisting he’s glad he went home when he did. Here, more of our conversation, including his thoughts on Adam Lambert!

So here we are in the thick of season 8, have you been watching?
Michael Johns: I saw the country week performance show, but I haven’t really been watching. Not that I don’t want to, I’ve just been so busy. Plus, it’s really hard to watch. You get this sick feeling in your stomach, like being back in the competition again, and you’re just, like, “No!” I don’t want that again. I guess it’s too fresh one season after.

You and Carly Smithson appeared during the Top 36, did you meet any of the contestants?
MJ: Everyone I spoke to was eliminated that night. The groups were split up, and nine of the twelve were going home, but the other 12 were back at the house. Carly and I noticed that it was so dead backstage — and rightfully so. It’s brutal to think that out of the whole room only three were going through. Talk about a bloodbath. With us, only one was going home, and we were all having fun and playing board games.

You didn’t suffer the heat that Carly got for her previous major label deal, yet that came up again this year. Is there something to the argument that having had a major label experience is an unfair advantage?
MJ: I can’t speak for Carly, but it didn’t help or hinder me at all. If anything, I thought the Australian thing would hinder me. But nothing can prepare you for getting on stage and in front of those judges. It’s a whole new world. I’ve never done interviews or photo shoots like that. All my experience from being on a major label is nada. It doesn’t matter. I think that America just wants to see something real. They want talent, and at the end of the day, who cares where you get it from, or how it came to be? The reason Idol still is the biggest show in the world is because there aren’t any tricks — what you see is what you get. You don’t get help with anything. They can steer you, but you pick out the song, the clothes and everything in the end. That’s why it was so cool to see someone like David Cook. He walked through the door with, like, pink scarves, and then by the fifteenth week, he was a rock star.

Speaking of pink scarves, what are your thoughts on this year's favorite, Adam Lambert?
MJ: I think he’s great for the stage, and it might work for TV, but I’m not sure what he’s gonna do in the real world. I don’t get it yet. If he was on our season, I think Simon would have ripped him a new a-hole, but they’re praising him, so go figure?

What about the other finalists?
MJ: Danny Gokey is a good singer. Lil Rounds, I love all her urban stuff, but the one who I think is really true to herself is that little 16-year-old, Allison [Iraheta]. Brooke [White] and I actually met her at a charity function, where she was the one performing. I said, “You go for it, girl. You can sing!” I liked that Alexis [Grace] girl, too. She was more talented than she got to show. It sucks that she got voted off and can’t go on tour.

So what you’re saying is season 7 was the best…
MJ: Every season, I’ve found someone who really had that something, like Jordin Sparks or Bo Bice. This year, I’m not seeing anyone that’s a “star.” But out of any other season, I would want to be on our season, even with where I finished. It’s, like, who are you gonna pick on from our season? From Chikezie to Brooke, Jason Castro, Carly… we’ve all got something. I’m really proud to be a part of my season. We’re all friends and I talk to them all the time.

What do you make of the judges’ save?
MJ: I mean, I wouldn’t want to change anything about the way I was eliminated. What if you get kicked off the week after? Then you’re a double loser.

And the addition of Kara Dioguardi?
MJ: I like her. She’s really nice, and has worked with so many different people, but I think having four judges slows down the show. Everyone’s been saying that it seems longer this year, and that’s why.

How did your deal with Downtown come about?
MJ: Weirdly, it all comes back to my old label, Maverick Records. I kept in touch with one of the executives who ended up at Downtown. But it’s just a licensing deal. I own my record because I made it before anything was signed. Then Downtown heard it and said, “We’re in!” The best thing is Gnarls Barkley, Cold War Kids and Santigold are on the label as well and these are artists that I love! So we’re in a really good place.

When you were signed to Maverick as The Rising, the album never came out. But after you made it to the Top 24, they released it?
MJ: Yes. It was pretty upsetting to me. It was, like, all of a sudden I’m good enough? The Rising record can come out now that I’m on the American Idol machine? I was really pissed.

What were you going for with your new album?
MJ: I really wanted to do a Stax record. I went back and re-listened to music from my childhood — Sam Cooke, Otis Redding. Wilson Picket — and when I went to sing on the record, I didn’t even have to think. I was really comfortable. Simon wanted me to do more of that [soul] on the bloody show, but I didn’t get the chance.

How’s our favorite Idol David Cook doing? Talked to him lately?
MJ: He’s great. Such a nice dude and he hasn’t changed at all, to be honest. He wrote me a text the night after he appeared on the show, and I asked if he was in town for a couple days. He told me he was in Indiana and the performance was taped. So I wrote back, “Are you telling me not to believe everything I see on TV?”

No comments: